World Number 1. Magnus Carlsen became International Grandmaster at 13 years and 148 days. Carlsen reached an Elo rating of 2872, thus surpassing Garry Kasparov’s rating record of 2851 (set in July 1999).
Carlsen developed into a more universal player. He does not focus on opening preparation as much as other top players, and plays a variety of opening moves, which makes it harder for his opponents to prepare for him. His endgame technique have drawn comparisons to those of former world champions Anatoly Karpov and Jose Raul Capablanca.
- Country : Norway
- Current City : Oslo
- Age : 22 years old (30.11.1990)
- Rating : International Grandmaster - 2872 Elo
- Rating Peak : 2872 Elo (March 2013)
- World Rank : Number 1
- National Rank : Number 1
- Rating progression over 10 years : 2003 January 2279 Elo - 2013 January 2861 Elo (+582 Elo points)
- Major tournament victories : London Chess Classic (2009, 2010, 2012), Wijk aan Zee (2008, 2010, 2013), Tal Memorial (2011, 2012), Nanjing (2009, 2010), Bilbao Super Final (2011, 2012)